• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

fake tobacco, heavy metals poison

trll

Bluelighter
Hi,
We just found out from a tv documentary, that we all been smoking fake tobacco, for a couple of years.
I dont have all the facts but levels of lead arsenic cadmium are hundred times more than in regular tobacco. As smoking twenty of the fakes compares to 600 regular.
I am freaked out. We know we got the fake stuff, as they had serial numbers on the packs. This tobacco is coming from China.
This has upset me, I even gave this stuff to my kid.
Whats to be done, can you get the poison out of your system? Can you do anything to mitigate the impact on your health.
Yes I know, give up smoking altogether, but thas a way down the road for us just now.
any body know anything about this I would be greatful
bx

You should go and get checked out by your doctor. There are tests to determine how much cadmium is in your bloodstream, as well as how much you were exposed to over time (usually hair or fingernail tests.) Treatment options will depend on the results of those tests.

And, of course, you ought to give up smoking. I'm not going to lecture you or anything, but it sounds like you've had a fairly major exposure to heavy metals. Quitting smoking would eliminate about the biggest risk factor you're carrying.

What on earth is "fake tobacco"?

Buy some mapacho tobacco from a quality ethnobotanicals vendor, if you want "real" unadulterated tobacco.

How is it fake if it's still from the nicotiana plants?
What on earth is "fake tobacco"?

Buy some mapacho tobacco from a quality ethnobotanicals vendor, if you want "real" unadulterated tobacco.

This.
Or use organic tobacco products.

trll said:
Whats to be done, can you get the poison out of your system?
Yes it's possible to chelate and remove certain kinds of heavy metals from the body but your best bet is to stop smoking.

You mean "contaminated" and "overseas produced". not "fake", right? :p
If the factual basis is firm, I'd see a doctor about potential heavy metal poisoning, as there are treatment options beyond quitting smoking (though one should obviously stop ingesting the contaminant).

ebola

Thak you for responding,
BBC documentary programme panorama reported that counterfeit rolling tobacco and pakets of cigarettes being sold in markets across Britain (and europe)

"Counterfeit Golden Virginia tobacco bought in Ayr contained 30 times the amount of lead found in a genuine pouch of the product.

In the fake Marlboro Reds, lead content was 17 times higher than is found in the genuine product.

Levels of the poisons arsenic and cadmium were also high, in some cases, six times the normal amount.

This means that someone smoking 20 counterfeits would have smoked the equivalent of 600 genuine cigarettes."

Britain has the second most expensive tobbaco and cigarettes in the world. With many people having found the cost of living rising sharply, cheaper smoking is tempting. Most buyers believe that they are buying duty free packs, that have been smuggled in and avoided paying revenue.

However it seems that it is counterfeit, produced in China, and and much more toxic. 30x lead and arsnic and cadmium x6.

These fake products are being found all over Britain and Europe

i will see my doctor (and look at giving up, again)
I just feel dreadful that I have bought these packs for two years and given them to others including my son (what kind of parent!)

I just have no idea of the health implications and feel pretty bad as it is for my inability to quit a habit of 20yrs)

Well this completely put me off chinese tobacco. I usually smoke legit brands but sometimes i like to buy a pack of random chinese cigarettes for change. This shit makes me sick tbh.. im sure ive smoked fake cigarettes before because i smoke marlboro reds mostly and a couple times now, they have tasted quite different - and it was when i bought them from a different store.